Friday, May 7, 2010

Note to Future Students (Final)

Future Students and Educators,

Social Issues has been an extremely eye-opening and challenging class. This class focuses on many issues such as race, gender, class, sexuality, power, and privilege, and how we as educators must approach these issues in the classroom. Throughout this course, I was challenged to speak my mind and not be afraid to ask questions. Every class is full of incredible discussion and allows you to learn from each other. Not only is discussion interesting, each book I read has tugged at my heart and opened my mind. Worth, value, identity, liberty, and humanity of the student are some of the themes that run throughout many of the texts you will read. These themes must be implemented in our classrooms in order to change society. Shame of the Nation by Kozol was a powerful text for me personally. I was able to identify and feel for many of the characters in the book. This book encouraged and challenged me to truly understand the worth of each student I encounter and fight for a fair opportunity for every child. I challenge you future students and educators to come into this class with an open mind and soak up every bit of advice and discussion over these crucial issues that we face in our society. Most importantly, take this advice to heart and use and implement it in your classrooms. We must teach with passion and help create an equal opportunity for every student no matter what race, gender, or sexuality. 

No comments:

Post a Comment