Monday, March 22, 2010

Teaching to Transgress: Quote response

Chapter 14 – Ecstasy (Teaching and Learning without Limits)

About student feedback ~ “I could never say that I have no idea how my students respond to my pedagogy; they give me constant feedback. When I teach, I encourage them to critique, evaluate, and make suggestions and interventions as we go along. Evaluations at the end of the course rarely help us to improve the learning experience we share together. When students see themselves as mutually responsible for the development of a learning community, they offer constructive input” (pg. 206).

Main Ideas and Thesis

Hooks believes that the more involved and the more feedback a student can provide, the more a student will want to take responsibility and dive into their learning. With this conversing back and forth between a teacher and each student, the student is able to connect and feel as though their opinion matters. This critiquing and learning grows the student as well as the teacher. The teacher can really see what areas in her teaching through engaged pedagogy seem to work and what needs improvement. She suggests that you must get them to critique you throughout the year rather than on a piece or paper for evaluation. This communication is far much better and will help both the teacher and student throughout their experiences together.

 

Consistent/Inconsistent with Experiences as a Student/Novice/Teaching Associate

As a student, I have seen this to be somewhat inconsistent. Some teachers still seem to feel as though their method of teaching is perfect and only want you to evaluate them at the end of the year. This makes me feel as though my opinion does not matter and in fact is hurting the teacher because he or she will never learn how she can perfect relationships and teaching methods in the classroom. I do find hope in some of my classes where a teacher is very engaged with the students and curious to make improvements in the learning environment.

Consistent/Inconsistent with Teaching Beliefs & Practices

This passage from Hooks is extremely consistent with my teaching beliefs and practices. I am a firm believer in engaged pedagogy and gaining insight and input from my students. I know it will strengthen our relationships and help the students enjoy learning and gain responsibility to help their academic success.  We can learn together in this process and this “allows us to move together within and beyond the classroom” (205).

So What? Impact on Future Professional Development

As I have said above this idea of engaged pedagogy and input from our students will help us greatly in the future. Students will be able to voice their opinions one day in the real world and also, I will be able to improve my future as teacher. I will recognize what is beneficial to my students and what is not. I will also be able to connect better each time I encourage this feedback. It may not always be hard to hear the criticism, but it will be worth it. 

1 comment:

  1. Rachel,


    I always enjoy reading your posts. Thank you for being an engaged and reflective emerging teacher.

    Peace.

    Dr. T

    ReplyDelete