Monday, February 1, 2010

What is the worth of the individual student in the classroom?

I feel as though the individual student is the most worthy thing in the classroom. Each student is so precious and important in my eyes that their worth can't by any means be measured. When I think about this question, it helps me to realize why I am so passionate about teaching. Why would I even consider teaching if I did not value the children I am going to teach? It is important for a teacher to realize that each child is different and brings forth many contributions to the classroom. With each gift that God has given a child, it is important for a teacher to take the time to recognize specific talents and strengths that each of their students possess. Each individual student has the worth to be educated equally and to be treated with care. After reading the last chapter in Kozol, I was reminded of how teachers who truly care about their students dig deep to connect with their students. I am encouraged and confident that I will be able to see how worthy my students are of receiving my love, patience, and help in shaping them in life and in academics. 

No comments:

Post a Comment